Types of Online Casino in Nigeria
As we have said, in Nigeria there are no domestic online casinos, and the legislation does not regulate this type of activity. Nevertheless, local residents can legally visit foreign online resources that will offer them a wide variety of games. Before starting to play casino for money, players need to check it according to some criteria. First, it is worth paying attention to the availability of a license and a licensing authority. The most reliable licensing authorities in the world are Malta, Curacao, and Gibraltar. No less important criteria are software providers, the availability of support service and a list of payment systems. Only after you make sure of the safety of the online resource you can start the game.
It is important to note that modern online casinos meet all the requirements of customers and are divided into several types:
- Online casinos in the browser (these are online casinos that do not require additional downloads and allow you to start playing immediately after registration. Online casinos in the browser are especially popular among Nigerians due to their ease of use and accessibility. Before playing in such a casino, players only need to update the plugin on a personal computer);
- Downloadable online casinos (a popular type of online casino that, unlike the previous one, requires additional downloads. The player must download the software to his personal computer before the game, register and start playing. Downloadable casinos can boast excellent game quality and an exciting story. Check before downloading the presence of free memory on the hard drive);
- Mobile online casinos (this type of casino is also gaining popularity among local players. Residents of Nigeria can download the application on their smartphone and play anywhere and anytime. The popularity of portable devices is increasing every minute, and this, in turn, guarantees the demand for mobile casinos. It should be noted that mobile casinos offer players not only a convenient interface but also good quality games that are not inferior to casinos on a personal computer).
Types of casino games in Nigeria
Online casinos that accept players from Nigeria are very diverse and offer users a wide selection of games. Under current law, there is no prohibited type of gambling in Nigeria. Local residents often visit online and offline bookmakers, so sports betting is in great demand. Online casinos often divide games into categories so that it would be convenient for players to choose something to their liking:
- Card games (a complex category of games that is most often chosen by experienced players. In order to play card games, you need to know the rules, have a good memory and be careful. Professional players use strategies to win the tournament. The most popular card game in Nigeria is Poker. Among card games you can find BlackJack, Baccarat and many others);
- Slot machines (it often happens that slot machines are not only part of the casino, but are installed in separate online and offline gaming rooms. Such popularity of slot machines is explained by the fact that players do not need to learn long-term rules and strategies for playing. Modern slot machines are not only exciting, but also allow players to win a large amount of money);
- Board games (this type of game is popular with both beginners and professionals. There is a wide selection of board games in online casinos. Most board games require knowledge and skills from players. The most famous board game is roulette. There are also board games to sections you can meet the game of dice, bingo and many others).
It is important to say that competing among themselves casinos introduce many new products. Games with virtual reality are gaining considerable popularity. Thanks to a live casino, players can visit a casino that cannot be distinguished from a land-based gambling establishment. To interest players, providers offer games based on the plots of popular films. Games in modern online casinos are breath-taking in their diversity and excitement, and this makes players come back again and again
Online Gambling Laws and Regulations in Nigeria
Before finding a suitable online casino, players from Nigeria should find out if online gambling is legal in this country. There is no mention of online casinos in local legislation, which means that they are not legalized yet, but they are not prohibited. There is no mention that playing on offshore resources players will be responsible. However, there are articles in Nigeria’s Criminal Code that allow sports bets, poker games, and some other skill-based gambling. While slot machines are prohibited, and owners of establishments with slot machines are required to pay a fine to the state.
Since the laws of Nigeria do not regulate online gambling, there is no licensing authority in the country. For this reason, players have to choose among offshore sites that have received international licenses. Nigerian players can easily choose a reliable online casino that will offer all the necessary options for players.
Gambling legislation in Nigeria is very outdated and needs to be fully updated. Currently, land-based casinos operate based on government permits and the 1990 Criminal Code. It is also not specified anywhere at what age players can play online gambling. However, given the fact that land-based casinos can be visited by players over 18 years old, we can assume that the same age will be applied to online casinos.
Despite the local laws, the gaming business in Nigeria continues to develop and it can be assumed that in the near future a new law will be adopted that will regulate the activities of online and offline casinos.
The Best Deposit Methods for Nigerian Gamblers
When choosing an online casino, players from Nigeria should pay special attention to the available payment services. Since gambling in Nigeria is not regulated, players should not take risks when choosing a payment system. You should refrain from the usual bank transfers, as well as payments using popular bank cards (Visa and Mastercard) and give preference to alternative payment systems. Fortunately, foreign online casinos hosting Nigeria players work with many payment systems such as prepaid cards, e-wallets and so on. Leading Nigerian online casinos prefer well-known international bank transfer systems and offer players replenishing their deposits using Alterpay and Voguepay. When conducting international operations in offshore casinos, locals often use the Nigerian Interbank Settlement System along with Paystack and Interswitch.
As already mentioned above, cryptocurrency is very developed in Nigeria. With the help of cryptocurrency, players have a wonderful opportunity to conduct operations in the casino anonymously and safely. Famous payment services accepting cryptocurrencies are Ethereum and Bitcoin.
Nevertheless, what payment service you would not prefer, it is important to remember that gambling is addictive and it is worthwhile to place bets with extreme caution. Modern payment services offer players to set a limit on the possible amount of transfers in order to protect themselves from possible losses.
Nigerian Naira is the national currency of Nigeria. Naira entered into circulation on January 1, 1973. Until that time, the Nigerian pound was the national currency. Nigerians could exchange pounds for naira at the rate of 1 pound = 2 nairas.
In history, Nigeria went down as the last African state to abandon Britain’s monetary system. The fractional currency of Nigeria is called kobo and is issued in the form of coins with a face value of 50 kobos. The Nigerian naira is issued in the form of banknotes in denominations of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 naira. The National Bank of Nigeria is responsible for issuing the currency and its exchange rate.
Since there are no domestic online casinos in Nigeria, players have to play on offshore resources. Nevertheless, many foreign online casinos are happy to welcome players from Nigeria and offer them the most comfortable conditions for playing. Among offshore resources, you can choose the site that will allow you to conduct cash transactions in the national currency of Nigeria. But do not worry if you do not see naira in the list of currencies since operations can be carried out in dollars or euros. Moreover, modern online casinos and payment systems allow you to automatically convert currencies at a favourable rate.
It is very important for players to be able to contact support and get professional advice. As practice shows, not only beginners, but also professional players may need advice. According to statistics, the most popular questions concern deposit replenishment, withdrawal of funds and the use of bonuses. There are controversial issues between the player and the casino, which require additional proceedings and time. Modern online casinos primarily care about the interests of players and offer several options for communication with the staff of the resource:
- Online chat (the fastest way to contact support. It is ideal for urgent issues. The main advantage of online chat is that you can get advice in a separate pop-up window without interrupting the game);
- E-mail (most often players choose this option for communication with the support service. E-mail is ideal to get an extensive consultation on any question. The only drawback is that players will have to wait for an answer from several hours to one day);
- Hotline number (many online casinos in Nigeria offer to contact support at the phone number listed on the site. This method is convenient and fast for domestic resources. Nevertheless, since there are no online casinos in Nigeria, players will have to call an international number. According to statistics, players seldom choose this option for communication with the operator and prefer alternative methods);
- Mail (as we wrote above, sometimes players and casinos have contentious issues that require an official letter. In this case, gamers can always send a paper letter to the address indicated on the casino website).
Predictions About the Future of Online Gambling in Nigeria
Everyone knows that Nigeria is a country with a great and bright future. Nigeria is considered the most populous country in Africa and is famous for its very rich natural resources. It has long been known that the gambling industry brings profit to the state. For this reason, it can be assumed that the Government of Nigeria will soon revise existing laws in the country in order to create the most positive atmosphere for the development of the gambling business. According to statistics, more than 60% of the local population of Nigeria visits offshore online casinos. The first step in the development of online casinos in Nigeria should be the legalization of online casinos and the creation of a licensing authority. Already now, in Nigeria, bookmakers operate legally and develop very quickly. During the 2018 FIFA, bookmakers in Nigeria broke all records in the number of bets.
Often, reading reviews on online casinos that accept players from Nigeria, you can come across positive forecasts from experts. Players from Nigeria have access to the best online casinos and games, including games with virtual reality. These give reason to believe that Nigeria’s domestic casinos will be guided by the wishes of the players and offer games with virtual reality and live dealers. Mobile casinos are also popular among local players, which allow you to play while away from home.
Cryptocurrency is very popular in Nigeria. In 2017, Nigeria broke records on Google requests for cryptocurrency. Already, local players conduct cash transactions using virtual currency. It is important to note that the demand for virtual currency in Nigeria in 2018 increased almost three times. On the streets of Nigeria, you can find currency points where you can exchange bitcoin and ethereum for paper money.
Summing up, we can say that in Nigeria there are many opportunities for the development of the gambling business. After the adoption of new laws in Nigeria, there is every chance to become one of the leading countries in the gaming industry. Players can only watch for new events and enjoy games on offshore resources.